Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Hungry!

Ever heard that saying "out of the mouth of babes"? Well I'm sure there is more to the saying but that's all I ever heard.

I was at Mass one Sunday during Lent and after I had gotten back to my pew and was kneeling to pray I was just kneeling there trying to meditate on the fact that I received Jesus Christ: Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity inside me. (Needless to say it truly is a Mystery.) I had my eyes closed, my hands over my eyes, I was really trying to meditate and I look over at the line and there is this very small child walking next to his mom and he looks up at her and says somethingI will never forget

"I'm hungry!"

I would never have thought anything of it if I were any place else, but at that very moment, when I was trying to really think about what I received, some child humbles me. I mean, I'm trying to be all deep and theological and what not and some little kids blurts out the most obvious thing ever! "HELLO?!?! You are making it WAY harder than it has to be!" That's what I felt like God was telling me. I started to smile and laugh just kneeling there. I look up at God and laugh. He is so right! I am to approach His Son with all the humility and reverence possible, but I also NEED to want Him. To be hungry! Hungry for Him. Hungry to receive Him. Hungry to receive His Sanctifying Grace. Hungry for my Daily Bread!!! Why can I not do this? Why is this so difficult to do? It is a very simple concept! It is, as the Catechism says, "The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Catholic Faith".  So why do I go up focused on anything besides the Life Giving Bread, and the Saving Cup?

This Easter has been challenging. I have had this saying ringing in my ears for weeks on end. I know that this is from God. He has sent me a message through the mouth of a child. I must be hungry. But not just at Mass alone. In all things! I must be hungry for Him. Hungry to serve Him! Hungry to preach His Holy Word! Hungry to Love!!!

So I urge you brothers and sisters during the remainder of this Easter Season: Be Hungry!

"Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied."
~ Matthew 5:6

In Christ through Mary,
Joe

St. Josemaria Escriva, Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment