Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Top 5 Books

Here is a list of my top 5 most influential books I have read thus far (not including the bible and catechism):

1. Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort
2. Hail Holy Queen by Scott Hahn
3. Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly
4. True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis De Montfort
5. Catholic Warrior by Robert Abel

I've realize 3 out of 5 are about our mother Mary, but to be honest, She is the one who brought me into the fullness of the Church. She, like all good mothers, led me by the hand and brought me to her Son. It is only fair for me to learn more about my loving and gentle mother who, unbeknownst to me, inflamed my heart with love for the Catholic Church by the Holy Spirit! It was first by the Brown Scapular, then by the most holy Rosary that she conquered my heart.

Rediscovering Catholicism was an eye opening book for me. I had already plunged head first into the Faith, but even still I was awakened and deeply moved by this book. Its plain and honest language made it very accessible and I didn't need a phd to understand what he was talking about. It inspired me. To be a better Catholic. To be a better Christian. To be a better version of myself. I am called to holiness! And so are you! One of my favorite books to give to people!

Catholic Warrior was a book I stumbled upon at a Catholic bookstore. I saw the title and the cover with Saint Michael thrusting his sword upon Satan, and I knew I just had to get it. What Catholic man wouldn't, am I right? Well straight away I knew I had something good. Before the book even starts there is a verse from Joel that says
"Declare this among the nations: proclaim war, rouse the warriors to arms! Let all the soldiers report and march! Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak man say, 'I AM A WARRIOR!' (Joel 4:9-10)
This verse gives me chills and gets my blood pumping! I get all kinds of fired up when I think about it! So basically it talks about Spiritual Warfare. I consider it a basic course in it, which was good because when people talked about Spiritual Warfare, they'd say things like "it's hard to pray, it must be spiritual warfare." This book was good because it gave me a basic understanding of what it is. Again, it is written so you don't need a decoder ring from a cracker jacks box to figure out what he is saying. I understood it and took everything to heart. I have since gotten another book on spiritual warfare that is thicker and goes into immense depth on the subject taking quotes from Saints, early Church fathers, and Catholic documents on the subject. Pick that up too if you are interested. It's called, Onward Catholic Soldier. The title alone makes my blood rush! (also has a picture of the Saint Michael statue on top of the cathedral in Mexico City.)

So there you have it. The top 5 most influential books I have read thus far.

In the Love of Christ, through our Loving Mother Mary,
Joe

Satin Michael the Archangel, Prince of the Heavenly Host, PRAY FOR US!

*also note, I cannot stand auto-correct on the ipad. ...stupid spelling errors.*

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe, I'd like more information on the St Michael statue you said was on top of the Cathedral in Mexico City. Where did you find the original photo? I cannot find this one anywhere else. Thanks, please write me at:

    Fr Aidan+
    fraidanhix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe, I would like to know as well where you found the original photo. I hope to be able to photograph it myself when I go to Mexico
    Thanks, my email is ahoornik@zonnet.nl

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting! Can you please share more about it? Thank you.


    Catholic Bookstore

    ReplyDelete